Cooking with Sarah
Every week Michael is joined by Sarah Boorer, Nine Radio Journalist & Country Women’s Association award-winning cook, to look at the world of baked goods, delicious treats and & easy recipes.
This week Sarah looks at vegan chocolate cake with vegan buttercream and vegan meringues.
1 cup unsweetened Almond milk (or other non-dairy substitute)
1 tbsp white vinegar
2 cups plain flour
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup melted coconut oil (or canola oil)
2/3 cup apple puree/ applesauce
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp instant coffee (mixed with a dash of boiling water to dissolve)
125g dairy free butter (I used nuttelex ‘buttery’)
3 cups icing sugar (add more as necessary)
1/3 cup cocoa
Dash almond milk (as needed)
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees fan forced/ 200 conventional and grease and/or line two 9-inch cake pa
- Combine the almond milk and vinegar, stir slightly and set aside to curdle.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk well to combine.
- Now add the oil, applesauce, vanilla, coffee and almond milk/vinegar mixture. Mix until well combined either by hand or using a mixer of choice.
- Divide the batter evenly between your cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. About 15 minutes for cupcakes. Let sit for 10 minutes then remove from the pans to cool completely.
For the ‘Buttercream’:
- Combine the cocoa and softened vegan butter. Mix by hand or with a mixer until creamed and well combined.
- Add the icing sugar, one cup at a time and the vanilla. Mix until fluffy combined. Add more as necessary.
- If the frosting seems too dry, add a dash of almond milk, a tablespoon or two at a time. If the frosting seems too wet and doesn’t hold it’s shape, add more icing sugar until it thickens up.
- Ice the cake!
Download this podcast here