22yo prisoner charged over horrific assault of his own baby at Mount Druitt
A young father is facing a string of charges over the alleged neglect and assault of his own baby daughter.
On December 30 last year, the three-month-old girl was taken to Westmead Children’s Hospital with significant head, throat and leg injuries.
Police were notified by hospital staff and began investigating while the child was released to alternative carers.
Detectives from Child Abuse Squad also received reports the baby’s mother had been injured.
Following extensive inquiries, a 22-year-old inmate at Silverwater Jail was taken into police custody on Monday morning.
He’s been charged with eight offences, including:
- 3x cause grievous bodily harm to person with intent (Domestic Violence)
- Not provide for child cause danger of serious injury (Domestic Violence)
- Act with intent to influence witness
- Contravene prohibition / restriction in AVO (Domestic)
- Kidnap with intent to commit serious indictable offences (Actual Bodily Harm)
- Assault occasioning actual bodily harm ((Domestic Violence)
Police will allege the man injured his baby daughter at a home in Mt Druitt between October and December 2018 and did not seek medical attention.
He’s also accused of assaulting the girl’s 27-year-old mother and holding her against her will at the home last month.
The 22-year-old has been remanded in custody and will face court today.