History of the Devonshire Street Cemetery
Following news that that there is a search underway for the descendants of two colonial Sydney families after a 181-year-old burial vault was discovered at Central Station, Michael is joined Elise Edmonds, Senior curator at the State Library of New South Wales, to learn more about the history of the Devonshire St Cemetery.
The Devonshire Street Cemetery (also known as the Brickfield Cemetery or Sandhills Cemetery) was located between Eddy Avenue and Elizabeth Street, and between Chalmers and Devonshire Streets, at Brickfield Hill, in Sydney.
Governor Macquarie ordered the cemetery’s consecration in 1820. At its peak, it was the resting place of 30,000 souls, however, by 1860 the cemetery was full and it was closed in 1867.
Download this podcast here