Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Players sent home, key figure remains in South Africa

Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft will be sent home from South Africa in disgrace for their roles in the cheating scandal.

Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland says their investigation has found no other players or staff knew about the ball-tampering plan during the Third Test last week.

None of the trio will play in the Fourth Test. Further sanctions will be announced within the next 24 hours.

At an overnight press conference, Sutherland said he has spoken with Smith and described him as “distraught”.

Tim Paine has officially been appointed Test captain.

Matthew Renshaw, Joe Burns and Glenn Maxwell will fly to South Africa to join the team.

Darren Lehmann remains as coach, despite cameras appearing to show him orchestrate a cover-up of the incident.

That decision has left many in the cricket world scratching their heads.

Cricket Australia Statement

The Cricket Australia Board has received preliminary findings of the investigation into last weekend’s events in Cape Town involving the Australian Men’s Cricket Team.

Following this, Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland has officially reported Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft for breaching article 2.3.5 of Cricket Australia’s Code of Conduct.

All three players reported will depart South Africa tomorrow. The replacement players will fly to Johannesburg over the next 24 hours to join the squad for the Fourth Test against South Africa.

The three replacement players are Matthew Renshaw, Glenn Maxwell and Joe Burns.

The Cricket Australia Board has endorsed Tim Paine as Captain of the Australian Men’s Test Team.

Sanctions are expected to be announced within the next 24 hours.

The preliminary findings have confirmed that prior knowledge of the incident in Cape Town was confined to only the three players reported.

Cricket Australia Chairman, David Peever said:

“We understand and share the anger of fans and the broader Australian community about the events that unfolded in Cape Town on Saturday.

“This issue goes beyond the technical nature of the offences and various codes of conduct. It is about the integrity and reputation of Australian Cricket and Australian sport.

“Ultimately, it is about whether Australians can feel proud of their national sporting teams.

“That depends as much on the way the players conduct themselves, as it does about winning or losing.

“It is about how we play the game,” Peever concluded.

Cricket Australia CEO, James Sutherland said:

“In view of the broader reputational and integrity issues involved, the sanctions that will be contemplated are significant. The process must therefore be thorough to ensure that all relevant issues have been examined.

“I understand the appetite for urgency given the reputation of Australia as a sporting nation has been damaged in the eyes of many. However, urgency must be balanced with due process given the serious implications for all involved.

“In addition to sanctions for individuals, Cricket Australia will initiate an independent review into the conduct and culture of our Australian men’s teams.

“We will have more to say about this review in the coming days, but it will be conducted by an expert panel who will report to the Cricket Australia Board,” Sutherland concluded.

Mr Sutherland also indicated strong support for ICC Chief Executive Officer David Richardson’s comments on Sunday that the game needs to have a hard look at itself, to improve standards of behaviour across the board.

ENDS

Macquarie National News
Advertisement