- Michael Jackson's lovechild?
- Brisbane markets lend a hand
- LIVE NRL returns to 4BC
- Siege: Police injured
- Cate Blanchett wins
- Qantas plane collision
- Virgin loss, $83.7M
- Brett Peter Cowan, 'confession'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Anthony on LIVE NRL returns to 4BC Good one 4BC. Saves me having to stream it this year. A good management decision. Congrats more
- bil gilmourl on LIVE NRL returns to 4BC Goodon you 4bc. Almost gave 4bc away and was listening to 2gb on internet radio. Great call with ray hadley and the gang, ... more
- joseph on LIVE NRL returns to 4BC Thanks 4BC - a great decision - I'll be listening to 4BC all weekend from now on! more
- marion j heiman on David Hobson: Bang Bang can some one tell me the name of Mr. Hobson's newest album...something about a red rose? is it available in the U.S.? He is ... more
- William Sheehan on LIVE NRL returns to 4BC Very please to hear that the Continuous Call Team have returned to the Big BC, I can now leave the computer on weekends more
- James Styles on LIVE NRL returns to 4BC Having Distant Relatives Living in Queensland means that i have 4BC to Thank for Returning Rugby League to the Airwaves. more
- lee on Schapelle Corby, released weather evidence was produced or withheld,she was found guilty by indonesian law.she paid the price and now is free,on ... more
- harry on LIVE NRL returns to 4BC thank you 4bc for the return of the big man show.now,it"s up to the broncs,titans and cowboys to deliver the goods for us ... more
- James W on Qantas plane collision Guess who's at the top of the company's hit list? more
- James W on LIVE NRL returns to 4BC Sweet more
- Dave Witham on LIVE NRL returns to 4BC YES,YES,YES, Finally a great decision from 4BC . Bring on the big mun !!!!!!!!! more
- James W on "Oh, Where's the feeling?" mick, your powers of comprehension haven't improved any, I see. Let me spell in it out for you, I will type very slowly for ... more
- James W on Calls for Island bridge if property owners want a bridge, then they should pay for it. The big jump in property values will offset the cost. more
- James W on "Oh, Where's the feeling?" mick, if management can not negotiate sustainable costs for the company, then they should move over so the owners can employ ... more
- Andrew on Qantas plane collision Oops...that should buff right out.... more
- James W on Gov Boats to send back seekers john, how far go we go back? more
- mick on "Oh, Where's the feeling?" Now you whinge James W that Management pays too much, due to the union interference. Can't make up your confused addled ... more
- mick on Calls for Island bridge If you do not like the transport arrangements of Russell Island you should move. Why should the mainland pay the millions ... more
- john on MP 'blood on his hands' If Scott has blood on his hands then Sue, you and your Labor friends must be swimming in blood with the hundreds drowned on ... more
- Greg Crews on MP 'blood on his hands' Yes Barry, the ALP/Greens set this joint up as a knee jerk reation under KRudd Mk2. Why wasn't Burke, Bowen pillaried for ... more
Premier Newman with Cary
4BC Mornings: Premier Campbell Newman joins Greg Cary, claiming lobbyist are great at knowing government and business mechanics, and are skilled at getting results, despite taking 4000-5000 emails and correspondence a week, normal Queenslanders have the same level of access and can book a meeting with him if they have a real legitimate issue. The Premier also discusses Dr Bruce Flegg, dairy farmers and euthanasia.
Dr Bruce Flegg quit his portfolio last week amid claims he lied to parliament by failing to record the extent of contact his office had with his lobbyist son.
Mr Newman said the media focused heavily on the topic last week which was "not actually the main game of getting Queensland going", and is angry the scandal trumped topics such as new planning legislation.
"Frankly that was completely hyped up and overplayed. I'm not saying it was unimportant," Mr Newman told 4BC Radio.
"He (Dr Flegg) didn't do the wrong thing.
"He resigned because he failed to set his office up in a way to see proper administration."
Mr Newman said Dr Flegg's chief-of-staff Fraser Stephen and media adviser Graeme Hallet, who were both sacked, were responsible for keeping Dr Flegg's lobbyist register up to date and had let the minister down.
Mr Newman also said he has no problem with federal Liberal party vice president Santo Santoro lobbying Arts and IT minister Ros Bates.
Ms Bates also tabled an inaccurate lobbyist register, which failed to note more than 20 points of contact her office had with Mr Santoro.
Political donations from a private investment company linked to Mr Santoro and sidelined director-general of Transport Michael Caltabiano are being investigated by police.
Mr Newman said Mr Santoro does not have disproportionate power.
"Mr Santo Santoro is a registered lobbyist, he's not a criminal, he hasn't been in jail, he hasn't been accused of doing anything wrong and he's perfectly entitled to go and make appointments with ministers to undertake legitimate lawful business," Mr Newman said.
Whilst I do not believe that Mr Newman has done anything wrong, I am glad that Mr Fleg has gone, and another one that I would like to see go if Langbrook, to my way of thinking he is useless, he was last time and is again now..
Mr Newman is only a few months into a new job and although he has run the council, running a state is much different, we gave Anna Bligh time to sort her position out so lets give Mr Newman time.. Personally I feel he has one hell of a job to try to get us back on track, and to make sure that we are not heading in the way Bligh was happily taking us.. and it will take time to turn the ship around.Gaye Monday 26 November, 2012 - 1:03 PM
If this is not a clear case for Ministers not employing family members then I do not know what is.
While it is all well and good to want to see ones children or partners succeed, if the parent or partner is in a public position of influence there will always be the risk of pressure being applied.
I personally do not believe Flegg resigning is any great loss to Politics.Gayle Friday 23 November, 2012 - 9:27 AM
OMG . Is Campbell Newman Serious , Bruce Flegg did nothing wrong ! . What Universe does he live in . God help Us allPaula Thursday 22 November, 2012 - 5:39 PM