- Storm clean-up info
- Slacks Creek inquest
- Supercell storm: catastrophe
- Massive hail storm hits Brisbane
- Phillip Hughes Tributes
- 75 people arrested in drug raids
- Daniel Morcombe murder: Appeal
- Police shootings
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Johno on Calls for Island bridge To all Ratepayers,Investors or Residents of Russell Island,the Occupational Health and Safety of people and Environment is ... more
- geoffrey on Police shootings why was there a disturbance , because someone did not respect the man that was shot, show respect to all people and you ... more
- Craig on Calls for Island bridge Put a Casino on Russel Island and you will have your bridge, money talks a bridge to Wave Island is on the cards because ... more
- Craig on Pauline Hanson to stand at next state ... What ever happened to the politicians who had her thrown in gaol? False accusations and they continue to their political ... more
- Rita on Calls for Island bridge Join our fight to bridge Russell Island. Looking for all land, investment owners/ rate payers of Russell Island. We have a ... more
- Welcome to Australia on G20 Brisbane Blog Dignitaries, honoured guests, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to Australia. Some of the finest minds in the world have ... more
- Terry on Calls for Island bridge It's fairly obvious why the council and State Government have not proceeded with the bridge. It would mean that they would ... more
- Rita on Calls for Island bridge Barge/ ferry fees are continuously climbing (barges now $100 return), leaving residents unable to afford to continue to ... more
- Jeff Deslandes on Jeff Deslandes For those interested in my story...It's now October 2014, still have regular booster injections of my vaccine, remain free ... more
- John on Calls for Island bridge RITA the Bridge Majority all know you are for the Bridge. The bridge to Bribie has made it the most unique pristine life ... more
- Rita on Calls for Island bridge Reg, I am all for a bridge to Russell Island... It is well over due/ the only solution to fix the ongoing parking & ... more
- Reg Southern on Calls for Island bridge I'm with Rita too. The bridge to Bribie Island is destroying Bribie Island. The whole reason for moving here and living ... more
- From Ebola to military on our streets on Ebola tests return negative First and foremost is the potential threat. Every time the virus infects a new host it mutates and becomes stronger. At the ... more
- Dirty Harry on Terror suspect planned to behead police The Victorian police are nationally renowned for firing the warning shot into the chest of the alleged criminal. Not once ... more
- Justin on Terror suspect planned to behead police If a bikie did this there'd be no holding back. But a Muslim, oh no, "Islam is peaceful, he acted alone." But then again, ... more
- Its decision time on Terror suspect planned to behead police Consider these issues. The Ukraine, Malaysian Airlines, Ebola, ISIS and Syria. Considered in isolation they all assist the ... more
- CRY FREEDOM on Terror raids in Australia Thanks labor for letting them in by the boat loads. more
- Gutless Wonders on Terror raids in Australia How do you sleep at night. How can you look into your childrens eyes and not accept the fact that your actions are ... more
- All stand in applause for WA on Terror raids in Australia How clever is WA. We should all take of our hats to their extraordinary contribution. The WA division of Fairfax radio is ... more
- Australia is a nation under siege on Terror raids in Australia When foreign or domestic enemies attack or seek to undermine Australia, government is the first line of defence. When ... more
Premier Newman set for big year
A new report shows Queensland is on the road to economic recovery and 2013 will be a year of growth.
The CommSec State of the States report shows that while Queensland is strong on construction work and engineering investment, a sluggish labour market is constraining the state's economy.
It ranks Queensland's economy as the fourth best in the nation, in terms of growth.
Premier Newman is today talking up what his government is doing for jobs, after last year slashing 14 thousand public sector positions.
Mr NEWMAN says the things we're seeing in the Commsec report demonstrate the green shoots of recovery are there.
For the first time in a very long time you have allowed me to feel proud and humble as a result of the actions of a legitimate media in the service of the people. It is my great hope that the people of Australia and the world will absorb my words in the spirit they were intended. THANK YOU.Thank You Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 2:36 PM
In comparison to Ned Kelly Jessy James was a fairy. I am a great fan of John Wayne and an even greater fan of the dignity honesty and strength of character he portrayed so very well. The unfortunate truth is that America never had anyone like John Wayne. The closest they went was through Wyatt Earp and in reality he was as much a murderer and an outlaw as he was a law man. He was merely convenient at the time and as such he was allowed to live out his life beyond the scrutiny of legitimate judgement. The closest character in modern history to our Ned Kelly is Robin Hood. Robin Hood is largely a fictitious character based on an amalgam of many individuals of the time who actually did what the movies present under the name of Robin Hood. Make no mistake. Ned Kelly was certainly a criminal in his time but if an unbiased modern court were to judge the actions of the law enforcers of that time in conjunction with the actions of Ned Kelly it would possibly result in an acquittal. It is beyond any doubt that the law enforcers of that time acted well outside of the law of our time. I do not suggest that Ned Kelly surrendered his booty to the poor or even a substantial portion of that booty. However Ned Kelly is recorded in history to have supported local communities and it is also recorded that those communities supported him.
ContinuedThe Essence of Australians Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 9:54 AM
I do not condone criminals and yet I cannot find the criteria that would allow me to condemn Ned Kelly. Ned Kelly demonstrated beyond doubt he felt he was fighting for a just cause to the extent he knowingly laid down his life against insurmountable odds. He casually walked out of that shack stood upright in an open paddock without any cover and put his life where his beliefs were. No bombs no thermide no smart weapons. Just an antiquated rifle and a couple of pistols and as much ammunition as he could carry. Like the Spartans knew they were up against insurmountable odds Ned Kelly did not know the extent of his enemy but he knew they were so numerous he could not possibly win. He duked it out in reality at least as well as the duke ever did in the movies. Nothing and nobody else captures the essence of Australians as well as Ned Kelly. We should stop denigrating the man and start celebrating the man not as a criminal but as an icon of Australiana. He is as much an embodiment of the ethos of modern Australian law enforcement as he is of the Australian military and the Australian citizen. We should erect a 50 foot monument in a capital city so we never forget the ethos that forged this great nation. The time for Australians to be ashamed of our past has gone. The time for Australia to cower and hide as a subservient nation has past. It is time for Australia to take that first unprotected step into an open field to stand upright and proud and let the chips fall as they may.
ContinuedThe Essence of Australians Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 9:53 AM
I could put a substantial ready made military machine in the hands of Australia in under 1 month. Australia has ample resources technical ability and manpower to increase the size of that force to any extent we desire. More than enough to defend ourselves against any aggressor within a decade. We WILL almost certainly be faced with that dilemma within a decade. It is time for Australians to lift our heads out of the dirt and start pounding that dirt with boots. We would align ourselves with the UK AND China but as EQUAL partners. WE and only WE would control our region. The time for talk and dependence has passed. Who are we. Who are. Hooah. HOOAH. Let Australia inspire the whole world that is currently in a state of apathy and repression by building a monument to eclipse one of the seven modern wonders with a new wonder built in the majesty of the ancient wonders of the world. Let us build a modern Colossus of Rhodes right here in one of our capital cities. Let us show the world the ability of Australia and build a Ned Kelly that is taller than 30m and will last longer than a century. We could have built it easily for the price of that piece of shite desalination plant in Melbourne. We have the ability and we have the resources. It is time to put Australia on the map. That is how to lead a nation.The Essence of Australians Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 9:52 AM
Hey Mick is Bob Kater (sic) a Mad Hater? ya nob.roger Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 7:47 PM
mick, you claimed Qld was bankrupt - 'labor left it and Newman took over they were coming last and bankrupt'. In order to come to that conclusion you would need to know the net asset value of Queensland, unless you practice mickonomics. IJames W Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 7:13 PM