- Storm clean-up info
- Slacks Creek inquest
- Supercell storm: catastrophe
- Massive hail storm hits Brisbane
- Phillip Hughes Tributes
- 75 people arrested in drug raids
- Daniel Morcombe murder: Appeal
- Police shootings
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Johno on Calls for Island bridge To all Ratepayers,Investors or Residents of Russell Island,the Occupational Health and Safety of people and Environment is ... more
- geoffrey on Police shootings why was there a disturbance , because someone did not respect the man that was shot, show respect to all people and you ... more
- Craig on Calls for Island bridge Put a Casino on Russel Island and you will have your bridge, money talks a bridge to Wave Island is on the cards because ... more
- Craig on Pauline Hanson to stand at next state ... What ever happened to the politicians who had her thrown in gaol? False accusations and they continue to their political ... more
- Rita on Calls for Island bridge Join our fight to bridge Russell Island. Looking for all land, investment owners/ rate payers of Russell Island. We have a ... more
- Welcome to Australia on G20 Brisbane Blog Dignitaries, honoured guests, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to Australia. Some of the finest minds in the world have ... more
- Terry on Calls for Island bridge It's fairly obvious why the council and State Government have not proceeded with the bridge. It would mean that they would ... more
- Rita on Calls for Island bridge Barge/ ferry fees are continuously climbing (barges now $100 return), leaving residents unable to afford to continue to ... more
- Jeff Deslandes on Jeff Deslandes For those interested in my story...It's now October 2014, still have regular booster injections of my vaccine, remain free ... more
- John on Calls for Island bridge RITA the Bridge Majority all know you are for the Bridge. The bridge to Bribie has made it the most unique pristine life ... more
- Rita on Calls for Island bridge Reg, I am all for a bridge to Russell Island... It is well over due/ the only solution to fix the ongoing parking & ... more
- Reg Southern on Calls for Island bridge I'm with Rita too. The bridge to Bribie Island is destroying Bribie Island. The whole reason for moving here and living ... more
- From Ebola to military on our streets on Ebola tests return negative First and foremost is the potential threat. Every time the virus infects a new host it mutates and becomes stronger. At the ... more
- Dirty Harry on Terror suspect planned to behead police The Victorian police are nationally renowned for firing the warning shot into the chest of the alleged criminal. Not once ... more
- Justin on Terror suspect planned to behead police If a bikie did this there'd be no holding back. But a Muslim, oh no, "Islam is peaceful, he acted alone." But then again, ... more
- Its decision time on Terror suspect planned to behead police Consider these issues. The Ukraine, Malaysian Airlines, Ebola, ISIS and Syria. Considered in isolation they all assist the ... more
- CRY FREEDOM on Terror raids in Australia Thanks labor for letting them in by the boat loads. more
- Gutless Wonders on Terror raids in Australia How do you sleep at night. How can you look into your childrens eyes and not accept the fact that your actions are ... more
- All stand in applause for WA on Terror raids in Australia How clever is WA. We should all take of our hats to their extraordinary contribution. The WA division of Fairfax radio is ... more
- Australia is a nation under siege on Terror raids in Australia When foreign or domestic enemies attack or seek to undermine Australia, government is the first line of defence. When ... more
PM: Royal Commission called
4BC Drive: Prime Minister Gillard has called for a Royal Commission into child sex abuse claims within the Catholic Church.
Gary Hardgrave gets the response from Bravehearts founder Hetty Johnston and Dr Mal Washer.
Royal commission to probe child abuse
Prime Minister Julia Gillard has agreed to a royal commission into institutional responses to allegations of child abuse in Australia.
The royal commission will be recommended by Ms Gillard to the governor-general and the terms of reference would be worked on in coming weeks, before the persons to lead with inquiry are appointed.
"I want to get this right," the prime minister said.
"So over the next few weeks we will be consulting with the organisations that represent the survivors of child abuse, with religious organisations, with state and territory government to ensure the terms of reference are right."
Mr Gillard said she had already spoken to the premiers of NSW and Victoria, states which are already pursuing their own inquiries.
"Both of them are prepared to take a cooperative approach," she said.
Mr Gillard said any instance of child abuse was a vile and evil thing, she told reporters in Canberra on Monday.
"Australians know, from the revelations that they've read in recent weeks that too many children have suffered child abuse but have also seen other adults let them down.
"They've not only had their trust betrayed by the abuser but other adults who could have acted to assist them have failed to do so."
KEY FACTS ON CHILD ABUSE ROYAL COMMISSION:
Prime Minister Julia Gillard will recommend to the Governor-General a Royal Commission be set up.
It will inquire into institutional responses to instances and allegations of child sexual abuse in Australia.
The terms of reference will be worked out in coming weeks with a view to the commission being established before the end of 2012.
Attorney-General Nicola Roxon and acting minister for families Brendan O'Connor will co-ordinate work on the terms of reference.
The inquiry commissioner or commissioners will be named in coming weeks.
Ms Gillard plans to speak to state and territory leaders in coming days about how the Royal Commission may relate to current or proposed inquiries in their jurisdictions.
Discussions will also be held with victims' groups, religious leaders and community organisations.
The inquiry will look at religious institutions, state institutions and schools and not-for-profit groups like scouts and sports clubs.
The government says the commission is not targeted at any one church.
It's too early to say how long it will take.
KEY FACTS ON AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT ROYAL COMMISSIONS:
There have been 129 Royal Commissions appointed by the government of Australia since 1902.
The last, in 2008, was into equine influenza.
A Royal Commission has considerable powers, albeit restricted to its terms of reference.
It can compel witnesses, offer indemnities and seize documents.
The Costigan Royal Commission on the Activities of the Federated Ship Painters and Dockers Union and the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody each lasted four years.
(Source: federal government)
Wow. PeterB calls it church bashing. SO the enquiry is about child sexual abuse and the coverups - is that not important PeterB? - also posting as Peter B.
Bella calls its jumping on the bandwagon. Actually Bella there are so many enquiries happening into Churches and Child Abuse that it's great that they will all be able to work together.Bob Lord Thursday 15 November, 2012 - 9:18 AM
I personally know a man who was raped multiple times by a priest, when he was a 10 year old altar boy. It is not about church bashing. It is about weeding out the people who are taking advantage of their position of power, using people for their own sexual gratification, and irreparably damaging someone's life in the process.
As for Julia Gillard jumping on the bandwagon and terming this great step towards justice as uninteresting, it is such an important step towards protecting children and exposing those who sexually abuse children, regardless of their position of power. That is justice that will not be hidden with privilege of position.Mary Thursday 15 November, 2012 - 4:20 AM
For thousands of years the world has been ruled by two parties. Royalty and Religion. They seized control of the world when it was never their right. The Catholic Church is by far the most powerful on the Religion side. We are going to tear down that power and I think that is a good thing and long overdue. But what does that action really mean. When we demonstrate tearing down that pillar of power is acceptable then the other pillar will closely follow. Again I think that is a good thing and long overdue. But then what. The financiers have created a monetary system that exerts more power and control over the world than the two pillars. Their system must be continually fed with ever increasing amounts of capital or it will collapse. The two pillars are examples of the VERY few sources of wealth large enough to stave off collapse. But what then. After the two pillars and China and India are drained of wealth what then. The system was always going to collapse at some stage. It was designed to collapse. Then the financiers will own all capital and all assets. They will have removed all effective opponents. The fact they are attacking the two pillars covertly indicates clearly they are attempting to assume more power rather than provide a service to the people. Cast your eyes back to the Holocaust or take off the blinkers and look at the systematic extermination of the Palestinians or the financial destruction of the Greeks and every other nation. How do you think your quality of life will be affected if we allow them to continue their path of worldwide control. If the pillars can be toppled what makes you think you can survive.The REAL Objective Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 12:10 PM
Victoria State Government started an inquiry on 9th. November now Miss Gillard announces on 12th November a Federal Government Royal Commission.
Interesting, I think not!
This behaviour of Miss Gillard is nothing short of a clear example of JUMPING ON THE BAND WAGON.BELLA Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 1:05 PM
I am not a Catholic, C of E is my denomination, do not attend church regularly. Very disturbed to hear all the Church Bashing occuring everywhere now.
This whole thing about an Inquiry should have a Focus & Outcome.
FOCUS: Law Courts, Institutions of all Types, Police Action & The Blue Card System.
OUTCOME: Conviction & Sentences Past & Future, Offenders to be Branded/Tattooed, Regular Checks on Blue Card Holders and Applicants.
This is just a broad look at the issue but we must focus more on these things not happening in the Future more than what has happened in the Past, thank you for your time.Peter B Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 11:28 AM