- YouTube Crisis
- The Rolling Stones 14 On Fire Tour
- Having issues streaming 4BC?
- 4BC Line-up for 2014
- Boulder blocking highway
- Mary Collier Press Release
- Bieber's graffiti - will it stay or go?
- Tiger and trainer survive
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- peter on Greg Cary calls time out greg is an absolute gentleman, a true friend, as well the most fair and intelligent presenters, hoping all the best in the ... more
- David on Vicious magpie I've just been for a job intro', in Broadmeadows! There's a pair of nesting Magpies, in the area! As I was crossing the ... more
- Sharni Steel on YouTube Crisis Google deserves to burn forever in the firey pits of Hades. I am still looking for a viable alternative to google services, ... more
- Anthony on Green Ant Bite Treatments I think the new line up is just great. Hopefully we will now have unbiased political talk back radio as talk back radio ... more
- Nicki on Green Ant Bite Treatments A quick and easy one Plaese???// more
- carole green on Mary Collier Press Release Sorry but you have lost me also. Mary, Peter, Greg, Gary were all great. You can keep the rest mostly and I will go ... more
- Leeonie on Mary Collier Press Release What are you doing 4bc , you have let go the best presenters in radio, Yes we need to be informed but it is in how it is ... more
- Susan Mooney on 12 things about Ben Davis What is happening to Moyd Kay?. He and Loretta are great together. Get someone else for mornings I have never heard of the ... more
- Julia Mackintosh on Mary Collier Press Release Mary you will be greatly missed by 4BC listeners. You were delightful and you and Peter Dick were amazing as a team. Not so ... more
- Dean on Mary Collier Press Release I stopped listening to 4BC when they dropped the continuous call team. more
- Sue Perry on Mary Collier Press Release Absolutely shattered! Mary, I have loved listening to you! Yoou and Peter were my saviours during my drive time in the ... more
- jan on Mary Collier Press Release What have you done to a once great radio station. My dial is off 4bc for good more
- Sandra on Mary Collier Press Release Oh my, What is happening at 4BC. I've been a listener for some time now and I know the station has changed bigtime. It's not ... more
- judith on Mary Collier Press Release Good. Now for some talent with Loretta more
- Jim Seaton on Mary Collier Press Release Too many changes and media releases can not remove listeners doubts of poor culture st1116Greg Mary Peter Gary ... more
- Graham from Kuraby on Mary Collier Press Release Mary, you and Peter filled my mornings. Your honesty was great and I will miss all your stories. I will forever love 4bc but ... more
- Shan on Mary Collier Press Release What is going on at 4BC or what is Fairfax doing to our station.Will really miss Greg & Gary. Bring Kim Mothershaw back. ... more
- Diane on 4BC's Drive host for 2014 Why did 4bc put Ian Skippen on the radio not a fan of him cant stand him all he does is talk about himself he is the worst ... more
- Mazzab on Mary Collier Press Release 4bc - oh dear of dear!! Where will the deluge of on-air personalities departing 4BC stop? An avid talkback 4BC listener for ... more
- Rob on Mary Collier Press Release Very Sad. Mary you were fantastic. The show hasn't been the same since Peter Dick left and I could hear it in Mary's voice ... more
Local gay marriage debate
4BC Drive: Following Obama's win in the US Election, ten states now say yes to gay marriage.
Matt Young from news.com.au has written an open letter to Julia Gillard asking her to get with the times and allow him to marry the man he loves.
Young joins Gary Hardgrave to share his viewpoint.
LISTEN: Matt Young with Gary Hardgrave and caller reactions
Matt Young's Open Letter
Dear Prime Minister,
I write to you as a tax paying citizen, a brother, a son, an uncle and a member of the homosexual community frustrated with our politicians' lacklustre stance on the rights of gay and lesbians in our fair nation. On both sides of the political fence, that is.
News that the US states of Maine, Maryland and Washington state legalised gay marriage on Tuesday cemented the notion that Australia is well and truly behind the eight-ball. Ten states in the US now recognise same-sex marriage.
Globally, Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, South Africa, and Sweden also recognise our legal right to wed.
How many states in Australia thus far? Zero.
Sadly, I didn't feel much when I watched Big Brother 2012 winner Benjamin Norris propose live on air to his partner last night. It's a nice gesture, but unless they move to Buenos Aires, it's not going to happen.
I know we've come a long way over the years and that the Labor party is partly responsible for the opportunities we are allowed today, like the civil partnership registry in the ACT, New South Wales, Queensland, Tasmania and Victoria.
We can jointly adopt children in the ACT, NSW and Western Australia and receive the same tax, health, superannuation, and aged care rights as hetereosexual de facto couples.
But you already know that.
While I'm yet to find the man of my dreams, my hope is that when I do, I'll be given the right to choose whether I would like to seal the deal, so to speak.
I have a number of gay friends who are in happy, monogamous relationships. We're no different to heterosexuals.
Did you see President Barack Obama's response to the ten-year-old girl with two fathers who asked for advice on how to deal with bullies?
Let me refresh your memory.
"Thank you for writing me such a thoughtful letter about your family. Reading it made me proud to be your president," he wrote
"In America, no two families look the same. We celebrate this diversity.
"A good rule is to treat others the way you hope they will treat you."
Powerful words, wouldn't you say? This is what we need in a leader in Australia.
I grew up in a middle-class neighbourhood in the Christian threshold of Sydney's north-west suburbs. When I was in school, I was bullied to the point that I couldn't turn a corner without someone screaming out "faggot" or "poofter". My agriculture teacher used to make a mockery of me in front of the other boys, once telling me that to fit in, I needed to lower my voice.
Life was pretty tough back then. As a 14 year old kid, I was still trying to figure out my own identity and sexuality while dodging sausage rolls that would be thrown at me from the field. I learnt to keep my head down and show no fear in the face of ignorance and hatred.
Now, this is what I ask of you, Prime Minister. Show no fear. Right now, you're our hope, Julia. We need you to stand tall, speak up and make a difference.
An August Galaxy poll showed 64 per cent of Australians believe same-sex couples should be allowed to marry - up two percentage points from February.
I'm looking for a leader who isn't afraid to challenge traditional views, who is willing to be the voice of its people and who has the balls to stand up for equality.
The world is changing. Whether the right wing like it or not, gay marriage will happen. But the question is, will you be a sheep or a shepherd?
Heed our call.