- Robin Williams dead, aged 63
- We’re at the Ekka!
- VIDEO: Terrorist discussion
- Origin support
- Suzuki comp - LAST CHANCE
- Premier announces Telethon
- Beatles Day
- Shock win for Blues
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Bruce Norman on Farewell Mark 'The Ear' I started listening to Mark when the 4BC came to Tasmania, and I just think the "turf teasers", even though you have to wake ... more
- John on Calls for Island bridge Did buy a block to build and retire to one day. It's nice to get good clean discussion about the Bridge , not to sure about ... more
- Helen Arnall on Calls for Island bridge Private enterprises could be used to build a bridge - Look to Isle of Skye in Scotland - lots of protests, but successfully ... more
- Dale on Crime corner Whiskey au Go Go Bluey O.Gorman loved to go the knuckle with the smartys but no way was he involved with the rat pack or ever on the take. more
- Rita on Calls for Island bridge Russell Island is a fast growing community with needs as any other. A bridge would give RI residents a future with ... more
- GregHS on Calls for Island bridge Walter, if I say just one word - parking, that would crush your arguments. No matter what, growing population will not stop ... more
- James W on Calls for Island bridge Island Owners should stump the money up, if they want it. It will be their land values that will increase to offset the ... more
- walter on Calls for Island bridge The whole idea of island living is the apeal of seperation & apart from mainland living. A bridge would ultimately destroy ... more
- Debbie Copnell on Kim Mothershaw Cruise Hi Kim How's the family? My father heard you advertise on radio a cruise to Gallipoli for Anzac day next year. Could you ... more
- Craig on VIDEO: Terrorist discussion Only trouble with this video is it was created on the 16th July, that is a day before the plane was destroyed. So who is ... more
- Ash Gulati on Calls for Island bridge OMG still no bridge, I thought it will be due for maintenance soon... since how long the residents been yelling for one... ... more
- Cheryl on Calls for Island bridge Dear readers.Russell Island is defianetly growing.Why because the demand of affordable land is sadly becoming unavailable.I ... more
- CHARLES on New banknotes Like to see just plenty of $100 notes shared around.. more
- Karen on Boland back for Brisbane I would listen in the mornings if Warren Boland STAYED, otherwise NO!!!! more
- mal moon on 30 pubs in 30 days I would like to get the sound track from 30 pubs in 30 days more
- jodi on New banknotes tacky looking, surely they can put these amazing Australian's on notes that don't look like so cartoony, i think its the ... more
- Reg on Boland back for Brisbane Great to hear that at least 4BC knows Warren's value. ABC really lost the plot when they dumped him. I'm just at a loss to ... more
- Rita on Calls for Island bridge If you would like to support Russell Island Queensland please join Russell Island Queensland Bridge supporters on Facebook. ... more
- Rita on Calls for Island bridge Russell Island is a community & part of the RCC & should be treated as such. If they need a better solution to transport ... more
- Geoff Emerton on Beatles Day Without any doubt, the biggest sporting event in the world is the Hockey World Cup. How come there is no mention of it? more
Gibbons, lets fly, then says sorry
Prime Minister Julia Gillard has rebuked one of her MPs after he called senior Liberal Julie Bishop "a narcissistic bimbo".
Just after 8am (AEDT) on Wednesday Victorian MP Steve Gibbons tweeted: "Libs are led by a gutless douchebag and a narcissistic bimbo who aren't fit to be MPs let alone PM and Deputy. Both should be sacked."
His tweet came as cabinet minister Craig Emerson was demanding Ms Bishop resign or be sacked for lying about how many times she'd spoken with notorious former union bagman Ralph Blewitt last week about the AWU slush fund scandal.
The tweet was quickly criticised by fellow Labor MPs and, later, by Ms Gillard.
A spokesman for the prime minister said she had "made clear to Mr Gibbons that his remarks were offensive and he has rightly apologised".
After a Twitter backlash, Mr Gibbons tweeted at 8.45am: "Apologies to those offended by my use of the word Bimbo. I'll replace that word with Fool."
An hour later he added: "To all of those offended by my Tweet posts this morning - I unreservedly apologise."
But the federal opposition is demanding more than a simple "sorry".
Status of women spokeswoman Michaelia Cash says the prime minister should force Mr Gibbons to stand down as deputy chair of a parliamentary committee.
"If Ms Gillard fails to take action immediately this will confirm that her statements in relation to misogyny and sexism are worth nothing and are part of a concerted campaign to undermine Tony Abbott," Senator Cash said in a statement.
"If the PM fails to take action this will expose the sheer hypocrisy and shameful double standards of the ALP."
Mr Gibbons, who has announced he is retiring from parliament at the next election, has a history of making colourful statements.
He called Kevin Rudd "a psychopath with a giant ego" during the former prime minister's leadership challenge in February.
Families Minister Jenny Macklin on Wednesday said the backbencher's language was clearly inappropriate.
"Nobody should use that language about other members of parliament," she told Sky News.
Sydney Labor MP Ed Husic said: "Steve, I love you, but you're way out of line."
Ms Bishop did not front the media on Wednesday but she did issue a statement which sought to clarify why she claimed on Tuesday that she'd only spoken with Mr Blewitt once.
What was Said
0810: Libs are led by a gutless douchebag and a narcissistic bimbo who aren't fit to be MP's let alone PM and Deputy. Both should be sacked.
0845: Apologies to those offended by my use of the word Bimbo. I'll replace that word with Fool.
0846: Libs are led by a gutless douchebag and a narcissistic fool who aren't fit to be MPs let alone PM and Deputy. Both should be sacked.
0953: To all of those offended by my Tweet posts this morning - I unreservedly apologise.
Bob, Do you write Gibbo's tweets for him except for the one where he admitted he was wrong.
Nice Backflip Gibbo.Rich Wednesday 28 November, 2012 - 2:06 PM
This Federal ALP Member across the time that he's been on the Twitter Social Forum site, has posted some very interesting messages and now he's be rebuked.Canberra Observer Wednesday 28 November, 2012 - 12:02 PM
Gawd, what's happening now. First Tony thinks he can ignore the fact that he is leader of the opposition in Parliament and today after having been the head blonde for two days Ms Bishop has disappeared.
Must be studying the dirt files, she did mess up a lot of things.Bob Lord Wednesday 28 November, 2012 - 12:01 PM