- Appeal against Morcombe murder
- Police shootings
- Palmer walks out on interview - again
- Man backstrokes in puddle
- Major storm and flash flooding
- Pauline Hanson to stand at next state election
- QANTAS Retro fit
- G20 Brisbane Blog
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Johno on Calls for Island bridge To all Ratepayers,Investors or Residents of Russell Island,the Occupational Health and Safety of people and Environment is ... more
- geoffrey on Police shootings why was there a disturbance , because someone did not respect the man that was shot, show respect to all people and you ... more
- Craig on Calls for Island bridge Put a Casino on Russel Island and you will have your bridge, money talks a bridge to Wave Island is on the cards because ... more
- Craig on Pauline Hanson to stand at next state ... What ever happened to the politicians who had her thrown in gaol? False accusations and they continue to their political ... more
- Rita on Calls for Island bridge Join our fight to bridge Russell Island. Looking for all land, investment owners/ rate payers of Russell Island. We have a ... more
- Welcome to Australia on G20 Brisbane Blog Dignitaries, honoured guests, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to Australia. Some of the finest minds in the world have ... more
- Terry on Calls for Island bridge It's fairly obvious why the council and State Government have not proceeded with the bridge. It would mean that they would ... more
- Rita on Calls for Island bridge Barge/ ferry fees are continuously climbing (barges now $100 return), leaving residents unable to afford to continue to ... more
- Jeff Deslandes on Jeff Deslandes For those interested in my story...It's now October 2014, still have regular booster injections of my vaccine, remain free ... more
- John on Calls for Island bridge RITA the Bridge Majority all know you are for the Bridge. The bridge to Bribie has made it the most unique pristine life ... more
- Rita on Calls for Island bridge Reg, I am all for a bridge to Russell Island... It is well over due/ the only solution to fix the ongoing parking & ... more
- Reg Southern on Calls for Island bridge I'm with Rita too. The bridge to Bribie Island is destroying Bribie Island. The whole reason for moving here and living ... more
- From Ebola to military on our streets on Ebola tests return negative First and foremost is the potential threat. Every time the virus infects a new host it mutates and becomes stronger. At the ... more
- Dirty Harry on Terror suspect planned to behead police The Victorian police are nationally renowned for firing the warning shot into the chest of the alleged criminal. Not once ... more
- Justin on Terror suspect planned to behead police If a bikie did this there'd be no holding back. But a Muslim, oh no, "Islam is peaceful, he acted alone." But then again, ... more
- Its decision time on Terror suspect planned to behead police Consider these issues. The Ukraine, Malaysian Airlines, Ebola, ISIS and Syria. Considered in isolation they all assist the ... more
- CRY FREEDOM on Terror raids in Australia Thanks labor for letting them in by the boat loads. more
- Gutless Wonders on Terror raids in Australia How do you sleep at night. How can you look into your childrens eyes and not accept the fact that your actions are ... more
- All stand in applause for WA on Terror raids in Australia How clever is WA. We should all take of our hats to their extraordinary contribution. The WA division of Fairfax radio is ... more
- Australia is a nation under siege on Terror raids in Australia When foreign or domestic enemies attack or seek to undermine Australia, government is the first line of defence. When ... more
Baton passed to Tim Mander
4BC Drive: The State Government has announced that former NRL referee Tim Mander will replace Bruce Flegg as State Housing Minister. Mr Flegg resigned earlier this week after a former staffer declared he was unfit to serve as a Minister.
Mander eager to replace Flegg
Former National Rugby League referee Tim Mander says he isn't surprised by his elevation to the Queensland cabinet after only eight months in politics.
Premier Campbell Newman announced on Thursday Mr Mander would replace Bruce Flegg as the state's housing and public works minister.
Dr Flegg stood down voluntarily on Wednesday amid allegations he misled parliament over the amount of contact he had with his lobbyist son Jonathon, who works for communications and business advisory firm Rowland.
Mr Mander says he has aspired to a cabinet role since winning the Brisbane seat of Everton in March, although he expected the process to take longer.
"I've learned very quickly in my short time in politics that a day is a long time in politics, and I'm just delighted to be able to take up the challenge," the former referee and Scripture Union CEO told reporters.
The reshuffle also sees Mirani MP Ted Malone assume the newly created role of assistant minister for police and community safety.
Former police minister David Gibson was named to chair the Parliamentary Committee for State Development.
The Gympie MP was sacked as police and community safety minister weeks after the election over unpaid speeding fines.
But Mr Newman said the appointment did not necessary herald Mr Gibson's return back to cabinet.
"I can't leave his talents sitting there on the backbench any longer," he told reporters.
"David has paid the price for the things that have been canvassed before."
Mr Gibson said the new role was "an opportunity to serve".
"I've always been willing to serve in the parliament in whichever capacity has been extended to me at whatever the time," he said.
Mr Mander's former role as assistant minister for sport and racing will not be filled.
"We already have enough assistant ministers," Mr Newman said.
Water and Energy Minister Mark McArdle will take responsibility for housing and public works until Mr Mander is sworn in.
I think it's fantastic to see Mr Mander promoted to Housing Minister. The compassion he brings to this portfolio is genuine. I reckon Tim is one bloke who is truly beyond reproach. He was a wonderful chaplain at Grovely SS years ago and his role as Referee Boss was never questioned.Phil of Mitchelton Friday 16 November, 2012 - 3:28 PM