- QLD Police Commissioner on the anti-terror raids
- Malcolm Turnbull in Studio
- Domestic violence on the rise
- Why Chris Davis flipped to ALP
- AG considers club drug tests
- Union calls for cop safety laws
- Spin Cycle- Week 1
- Robert John Fardon on "tight leash"
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- unknownsoldier on QLD Police Commissioner on the ... Effective immediately the Australian Air Force Cadets have banned School Cadets from wearing their uniform to and from cadet ... more
- Phil on QLD Police Commissioner on the ... Let's hope that the AG will seek to have the ISIS flag banned in Qld with revelations now that there were/are plans to ... more
- Chris Ainsworth on Malcolm Turnbull in Studio Fantastic interview - Turnbull on the money as always. more
- sempre on Domestic violence on the rise I hope this taskforce tackles the full range of domestic violence and helps to educate the public, rather than simply ... more
- mick on Why Chris Davis flipped to ALP He just ran away from his commitments to the voters, should be kicked out politics. Feral politians are the problem. more
- brian ross on Red Tape Busters Regarding the access into a home for when a family member or others I missed out on telling you our daughter had to live in ... more
- brian ross on Red Tape Busters About 10 days ago or so I phoned in to talk about the issue of the very narrow door ways into homes and the bathroom area. A ... more
- Jennifer on What's on your bucket list? 4or 5 years ago I won a fishing adventures off kellie rose from dave donwie , due to weather we had to go on a flat dog ... more
- Buy Slim Spray on Premier Campbell Newman Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog web site?The ... more
- Robert Williams on Anarchy group threatens G20 I agree. An Island would be far easier to protect. Fitzroy Island would be good. more
- Paul on MP calls for Upper House Sign petition 2199-13 Reintroduce the Senate @ http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-assembly/petitions/e-petitionsI was ... more
- JenMa on Year 12 Debates: Old buildings Without a doubt, the worst, Ive ever Heard on radio this segment. Cringe. more
- mick on Year 12 Debates: Old buildings Perhaps it is about time these kids get a bit of justified criticism on a number of fronts instead of the continual stream ... more
- lee on Paternity leave stigma years ago people went about their business and private lives with out any problems.they had babies the same way they have ... more
- Bob Lord on Spin Cycle- Week 1 They were prepared to call off the races if the temperature exceeded 33 degrees in the stable area this week in Melbourne ... more
- Ben on Year 12 Debates: Old buildings Good to see that you have faith in our younger generation Mr Wright? Just because you don't want to hear what they have to ... more
- N. Wright on Year 12 Debates: Old buildings Awful awkward cringeworthy segment. Had to turn off. Would like to see this scrapped. Am not enjoying 4BC since 'the ... more
- concernator on Boost immunisation rates Man I hope some of these comments are jokes. No one could be this misinformed and be able to work a computer at the same ... more
- Kernel fudpucker on Fresh food costs more in the country What causes high blood pressure ? Bloody Table salt. It contains 1/3 of glass, 1/3 of sand and 1/3 of salt. Wake up and eat ... more
- Craig on Public transport fee incease Translink ABN 46097411749,I thought they were a Government department? Agenda 21 coming to a municipal council near you! more
Palaszczuk on the reshuffle
4BC Mornings: Leader of the Opposition Annastacia Palaszczuk joins Greg Cary and responds to the resignation of Arts Minister Ros Bates, the sacking of Director-General of the Department of Transport and Main Roads Michael Caltabiano and why Mr Newman should have promoted another woman to cabinet.
Minor Qld reshuffle after Bates resigns
Queensland Premier Campbell Newman's decision not to announce a wider cabinet reshuffle reveals his tenuous position within his government, the opposition says.
Mr Newman's judgment has been attacked after his hand-picked, trouble-prone arts and IT minister Ros Bates resigned on Friday.
Hours later, his transport director general Michael Caltabiano was told to pack his bags by March 15.
The premier said he would consider a wider cabinet reshuffle but on Sunday there were only minor changes.
Mansfield MP Ian Walker was announced as Ms Bates' successor.
Mr Newman says Mr Walker narrowly missed out on becoming housing minister in November when Bruce Flegg resigned.
"He's made it today," Mr Newman said.
Mr Walker was praised for being a strong performer as assistant minister for planning reform.
Southport MP Rob Molhoek will take over that position and first-time MP Tarnya Smith, a junior whip, will take over as assistant minister for child safety.
Mr Walker wouldn't comment on whether he believed Ms Bates had cast a shadow over his new department and insisted he had "a lot of faith in the premier's judgment and my own performance".
Ms Bates resigned after months of criticism for alleged nepotism, her contact with lobbyists and the amount of leave she's taken.
On Saturday morning, it was revealed her close friend Kaye Martin was awarded a department contract and appointed to a board position with Screen Queensland.
Mr Newman said Ms Bates left for health and family reasons and the latest debacle wasn't known at the time of her resignation.
He refused to say if he would have fired her if he had known.
He also wouldn't say why he sacked Mr Caltabiano and wouldn't comment "for legal reasons".
Mr Caltabiano, who had worked with Mr Newman at the Brisbane City Council, had also been involved in a nepotism scandal.
Ms Bates son, Ben Gommers, was given a plum job in his department.
Parliament's Ethics Committee and the Crime and Misconduct Commission are investigating.
Mr Newman said he took full responsibility for Ms Bates' and Mr Caltabiano's downfalls.
The opposition says the premier's failure to deliver a wider reshuffle underlines his lack of authority within his own government.
"The limited nature of the changes highlight the premier's tenuous position within his own government," Opposition Leader Annastacia Palaszczuk said.
Ms Palaszczuk also criticised Mr Newman for not promoting a regional politician or a woman.
Only two of the 19-member cabinet are women.
Mr Walker is expected to be sworn in this week.
Gee thanks CRY
Guess I'll spend the night worrying about reds under the bed who should be illegal and whether my employment and place of living being dictated by the possibly newly elected Politburo AKA the Coalition who want us to populate the north.Bob Lord Wednesday 20 February, 2013 - 12:45 PM
Bob Lord, here is political science 102, the communist party was made illegal in Australia, there membership then flocked to the ALP which then created a split. A new party broke away from the ALP to form the non-communist labor party; they then changed their name to the Democratic Labor Party. It is obvious then that the membership left behind in the ALP amounted to the communist. So yes, communism and socialism do exist in Australia, socialism is the economic belief while communism is the government structure that is needed to enforce it, just as free enterprise is an economic belief while democracy is the political structure that is needed to allow it to flourish.CRY FREEDOM Tuesday 19 February, 2013 - 10:07 PM
Not sure what that has to do with Ros Bate's resignation and CanLie's reshuffle of his incompetents.Bob Lord Tuesday 19 February, 2013 - 2:54 PM
@Bob, I see the Greens are distancing themselves from the ALP.
Strategic move before an election. Looks like Julia will have to come up with a whole new set of lies to get them back on board.
I would prefer to see Julia call their bluff at the next election. Leaving the greens without a paddle.
Not much Harmony in the ALP as well Bob.
Looks like our pollies are living up to their Bastard image.Rich Tuesday 19 February, 2013 - 1:51 PM
@Bob, I thought the word "IF" was sufficient.
as in "If there were 50 members"Rich Tuesday 19 February, 2013 - 1:42 PM
If "Hypothetical" was your aim you should start "Hypothetically speaking .."
otherwise people just think you are full of shit.Bob Lord Tuesday 19 February, 2013 - 1:25 PM